Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Inspiration

For awhile now I have been stewing about how to introduce my blog and photography into the world. I figured I would have to have a "grand opening" of sorts and put my best work out there right away to hook the attention of people. But over a week has passed now and the blog remains empty...until now. It occurred to me that maybe I would be better off diving right in and I was inspired to do so by a movie that I randomly got around to watching. See, I was supposed to work today but long story short, I was given the day off and decided to surf the Netflix page. A movie called "Cash Back" had gotten my attention weeks ago but I avoided temptation to indulge in my guilty pleasure of bad chick flicks until today. With the apartment empty and my creative juices all dried up I put on the movie not expecting anything more than mild entertainment. However, the movie brought rain to my mind's drought and I found myself identifying deeply with the main character and his deep appreciation for beauty in everything.
I'm taken back to when I first fell in love with photography and I'm starting to remember the reasons why I'm drawn to it. Two semesters ago I was taking a color theory class and at our portfolio review we had to discuss our work. I find it difficult to explain my photography to others- I feel like I'm revealing my soul to complete strangers. And much like falling in love, I feel completely vulnerable, as if at any moment my reality could shatter into fragments of a dream and everything I thought I had was never mine to begin with. My photographs are images not taken with a camera but with my soul and in them I see myself. So when I had to tell my classmates why I took the photographs I did, it was, "I want people to see the world through my eyes". And as simple as it seems, it is my whole world.
Today I jump start my photography from where I left it two months ago. I dust off my camera and pick myself up; No longer will I let hesitation and self doubt stop me from pursuing my passion. I only have one life to live and I can't let my fear of failure keep me from trying. I should be more afraid of an idle life that so easily sucks people in than anything else. It's time to start living an extraordinary life. With that, I welcome you to my blog. I hope you enjoy my photographs. And remember- beauty lies in everything, most often in places we overlook.


And because someone once said, a blog is more interesting with a photograph....

This picture was taken in the garage at my parent's house. I went out to grab something from the freezer and loved how the light outside illuminated the leaves.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    I am SO proud of you. For starting this blog, for pursuing your passion, and for sharing photographs that not only show how you see, but also reflect who you are! You are amazing, and you better believe I'll be a follower! xoxo

    Gladys Jem

    ReplyDelete