Friday, September 24, 2010

Addicted To the Shin Dig

I know this is my photography blog, and there are pictures I promise, but photography is not my only passion. I am absolutely obsessed with music. I call it my passion, even though I can't really create it...at least not well. ( Maybe that's why I married someone who is musically inclined.) Anyways, my love for music has been an interesting journey. I don't really remember much before I was 10 years old, and at that age all I knew of music was Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and whoever else was featured on the first Totally Hits CD to be released. And I grew up listening to country but I don't remember there being anything else on the radio other than my favorite pop or country songs. One day I was going with my parents somewhere and brought my headphones along so I wouldn't have to listen to Bob Brinker, or whoever it was my dad listened to. We had a fancy new suburban that had the CD player in back, but although I had my headphones, I forgot to bring any of my Cd's. However, my brother had left his CD in the player and since it was better than talk radio, I listened. From that day I was profoundly changed. Never had any song moved me so deeply. It was like a great awakening; my ears had never heard such beautiful music. I listened over and over again- I think I had heard bits and pieces of these songs on the radio before but this time it was different. The rest of the world was blocked out; there was only me and that soulful voice filled with so much emotion. From that day on my world was changed. Sure it sounds dramatic, but it really does hold truth.

The songs that had such an effect? Otherside and Scar Tissue. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were addictive and Californication became a gateway drug into the world of rock and roll. This music was so different- it had depth, it had passion and emotion and was more than 5 guys doing choreographed routines. This music was something real.

My brother ended up letting me have that CD and I literally played it so many times that it would not play anymore. To this day the RHCP are my favorite band. Their music unlocked a whole new world to me. And in that world I found a lot of loves. But one guy stuck out in particular. I actually can't remember when or where I first heard Rocky Votolato- but I know his music is magical.

There are few songs that have ever moved me to tears. I actually can't even think of one at the moment other than Rocky Votolato's "Instrument". And putting that out there is a big step for me. One thing about me is that I'm selfish with music. When I connect with songs on a deep, personal level I don't ever want to share those with anyone. I guess I don't trust other people to understand how they make me feel or maybe I'm afraid it will make them feel the same thing I do... But today I am sharing. Why? I don't really have a good answer. I suppose for once I do want other's to get the same feeling from a song. I had the amazing opportunity to hear this live when Rocky Votolato played a small show at my parent's house. It was one of the best nights of my life. I don't personally have a video of the song, but here it is taken at a show he played. And since this is still a photography blog, further below are some pictures. Some by me and some not by me. So enjoy the photos and enjoy the song.  And if there have been any songs that moved you, please share!   Enjoy my friends!






AJ bought me a book put together by the Chili Pep's photographer, Tony Wolliscroft.  He has the best job ever!


RHCP


Some of my RHCP collection.


 Now that's what I call love.  I got this tattoo when I was 18? 19? 

 This was when RoVo played at my parent's house.  It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!  Rocky and his wife, April, are the nicest people you'll ever meet.  April even sent me a homemade postcard thanking us for hosting the show!


This was taken by Brian Patrick in studio. Wish I could've been there!

Find out more about Rocky Votolato here.

And here is a bonus video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment