Monday, September 6, 2010

Moo Cow! Moo!

There is something about photography that I have always been drawn to. When I was little I loved to take pictures with my mom's camera, I would snap away at just about everything. In high school, I signed up for photography instead of Spanish. I still remember the first time in the dark room as I watched and waited while my photo slowly appeared on the paper being soaked in developer. I felt like a new world explorer finding unspoiled land for the first time. Before me were endless possibilities and limitless creativity. I was finally able to show others how I saw the world. The camera became an extension of my eyes; the dark room, my second home. There was nothing I wanted more than to shoot a roll of film and spend the rest of the day developing and printing my images. I loved it all- even the smell of chemicals on my hands that took days to wear off. I couldn't get enough of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Ansel Adams, Paul Strand, and my favorite, Rodney Smith. The first time I laid eyes on Smith's work, I knew this was something I wanted to pursue.

When I first started photography I was using a film camera that I had to check out from my school. When it was obvious that photography had really piqued my interest and spurred my creativity my parents bought me a Canon Rebel, my first SLR camera. I've taken thousands of pictures and have pages and pages and pages of negatives. Although I shoot digital now, I still keep all my negatives tucked away in a box, along with just about every print I've ever made. Digital has made things much easier and less time consuming (for the most part). But there is still something to be said for those of us that learned how to shoot without a screen on the back of a camera. We had to dodge and burn in a darkroom, spending hours upon hours until the print was just right. We had to use spot tone to fix scratches or dust specks- one mistake and you had to wash the print and start over.

I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm a film girl all the way. I think everyone pursuing photography should have to start out with film- it makes you appreciate the art so much more. At least I think so. :)

So what's the point of all this? Not sure. I mainly just wanted to post one of my favorite pictures that I found today hidden in a folder on my hard drive. Awhile ago I scanned in some old-school prints I had made, one of which is my favorite picture of all time. But, the negative is from 2006 and in crappy condition. The print was riddled with specks and scratches. So I spent some time on it today in Photoshop and restored it to it's former glory. It may look grainy, but that's because it was shot with film and that's how film pictures look.

This picture was taken when I went on a 2 week road trip all over the western half of the country. I don't remember for sure what state I was in at the time, I think it was Montana, but I stopped to take a picture of these cows. It's been over 4 years, but this is still my favorite photo I have ever taken. I didn't even notice the third cow until after I made an 8x10 print of it. If you can't see what I'm talking about, click on the picture and look at the black spot on the right- his head is poking out of the grass.

Here is the original:



And here is the restored:

2 comments:

  1. Great shot and nice touch too =)
    I love fotography too =)

    greeting from sanggardesign.com | Logo Design, Graphic Design, Website Design Services

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie!

    This picture is so amazing!! I'm hoping on moving soon, and definitely want to order a print from you for my new place!!! I think you might be able to get quite a lot of business just from me lol. Hope all is well my dear!! ~ Jess

    ReplyDelete